Skip to main content

Does a local TV owner own my paid advertisement? Can they do whatever they want with it?

Jamaica, NY |

I paid a local TV owner to produce an ad for me last year, after running it on their show during the time allowed, they then posted it on You Tube. I want them to remove it from You Tube. I have been contacting them since November of last year, they said they will but never did. Does this ad become their property or mine since I paid for it? What can I do to force them to remove it from You Tube?

There was no signed contract between us at all!!!

Attorney Answers 3


Go back and read your contract. If it like the standard contracts used around here, it included a release that allows the station to use the add in other media, like Youtube, if it wants to do so.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Did ownership of the ad come up during your verbal discussions with the TV owner who produced the ad? You should get together with a contracts or business attorney to review your situation with you and help you to make some decisions. If you do not know of one, you can use the site to find one. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


How does it hurt your business with them running it on YouTube? What, if any, damages do you have? You could take your complaint to YouTube directly, I suppose.
You may also contact a lawyer who can send a legal letter to the station on this.

Law Office Of Michael Marley
Phone 917 853 4484

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics