Does a live in boyfriend have any rights if the girlfriend who owns a house dies?

Salem, CT |
Filed under: Intestacy and probate

My father in laws girlfriend of 11 years died 2 days ago. Her family showed up at the house taking items and her car. Can they evict him? Does he have any rights? there is no will to our konwledge and he did not have power of atty.

He is a tenant in occupancy. However, when the Probate Court begins to process the change in ownership from the decedent to whomever is to receive her property, whether by will or intestacy, there fiduciary and/or new owner, may move to evict him.

He is entitled to ownership of any property on the premises that belongs to him, including things he received from his girlfriend as a gift.

Your question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem. My answer is not legal advice. No client/attorney relationship exists by virtue of this answer. Laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and frequently change. Do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.

Wills and estates topics