Does a limited partnership in Minnesota require attorney representation in court? Can one, both or all parties litigate pro se?

Asked about 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

This is a limited partnership law firm; those desiring pro se representation are registered attorneys.

1. Michael Hutchens Frasier

Pro

Answered . Minnesota Statutes section 481.02 regulates the practice of law. While on its face it only seems to prohibit corporations from representing themselves, I believe it has been applied to other entities, including LLPs and LLCs. Reading that section in light of section 491A.02 (regarding conciliation court appeals) further indicates that the entity probably needs a Minnesota licensed attorney to appear in court.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

1

Answered . My MN colleague referenced the relevant statute. I would add that in my experience a lot frankly depends on the judge. You will be surprised how much flexibility the courts have regards to such issues.

If hiring a lawyer is not an option (as this is preferable), you should force them to make a motion and let the court rule. This will likely not disadvantage you in any way as you would be in no worse a spot and the court would give you ample time to locate counsel assuming you have not already exhausted the court's patience.

You should consult with several local litigators to get some advice here as well.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

3. Eric J Camm

1

Answered . If the members of the LP are licensed attorneys and want to represent the LP - aside from some conflict of interest issues that may arise - I'm not sure that the LP would be "Pro Se." It would have licensed counsel representing it.

4. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . You are a law firm asking for free advice on Avvo?