Does a letter need to be notarized to stand up in court

Portland, OR |
Filed under: Family law

I want to be my friend's witness in courtto testified that I was at her ex boyfriend's house when he stalked her and tellings lies about her, therefore i won't be able to make it, Will my unnotorized letter stand up in court?

1. In most cases, you will need to testify personally. Whether your letter is notarized or not, probably won't make a difference. If you want to help your friend, I suggest you make yourself available. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. Probably not. Your out-of-court statement which will be offered for the truth of it contains will be considered hearsay evidence, and therefore, most likely will be excluded from evidence.

Disclaimer: If you want legal advice, you will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on the above answer or any other answers on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Therefore, I provide the information in this web site for informational purposes only. The information does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship with me. Further communication with our attorneys through AVVO, our website at http://www.heinlegal.com, and/or e-mail may not be considered as confidential or privileged.

3. The other posters are right and the judge probably won't even look at your letter whether it's notarized or not. The reason for this is that your letter is hearsay.

"Hearsay" is a statement that was made out of court that is now being offered to prove the truth of the matter asserted. Here, your letter is an out-of-court statement. Your friend would presumably offer it to the court to help prove the stalking charges or to prove that her ex lied. This means that she would be offering it to "prove the truth of the matter asserted." Therefore, your letter is inadmissible hearsay.

You can always impeach the credibility of a witness (show that the ex is lying or show that he has a reason to lie), but there's also a rule that says that otherwise inadmissible evidence (such as your letter) cannot be admitted into evidence via impeachment.

My colleagues are right: if you really want to help your friend, you need to show up in person. Plus, a live person, if you're a credible witness, carries much more weight than a written, faceless letter.

If you absolutely cannot go to the trial, there may be other options:
    (1) Your friend could seek a postponement or reset so that you can appear on a different date;
    (2) Your deposition could be taken to preserve your testimony (there are a very limited set of circumstances when this is allowed and the other side needs to get a certain amount of notice and has a right to be there);
    (3) If the problem is getting out of work, you could ask your friend to issue a subpoena, which would require you to be there for trial;
    (4) Your friend could file a motion to allow you to testify by phone (again, certain requirements must be met and there are particular rules regarding how much notice must be given to the other side here as well).
    (3)

My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.

4. A trial involves the other side having the right to cross examine a witness. Written testimony like the affidavit you are suggesting would deprive that defendant of that right. You didn't say if this is a civil or criminal matter. In civil matters the deposition of a witness can be taken with both sides present and then used later in the court proceeding in lieu of live testimony. The other side had a chance to cross examine the witness during the deposition. If this case is civil you could give your testimony by deposition but that can be costly. The best thing is to show up for trial if your testimony is important.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.