Does a legal status in USA of a wife on H4 visa become invalid after divorce even if she has received EAD?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pleasanton, CA

Her husband's co. filed for green card in 2007. I 140 has been filed, got EAD but 485 still pending.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, once the divorce becomes final.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, and she also becomes ineligible to adjust status.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Ralf D. Wiedemann

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, when the divorce is final the ex-wife loses her H-4 status and loses her eligibility for I-485 approval and EAD. She would have to depart the U.S. or obtain a different basis for remaining in the U.S.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,391 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,391 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering