Does a lawyer have to convey all settlement offers to their client, including an offer of $0 ?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I wish to make a settlement offer in a civil lawsuit. The intended offer is $0.00 (zero) and for the case to be withdrawn, with each side to pay its own expenses. Do lawyers have to convey all settlement offers to their clients, even for no money? Would it make a difference if the offer is for $1.00 (one dollar) for client communication purposes?
Thank you.

I had to chuckle at this question becasue you actually made me look up the rule on this one. I am going to say the answer is that yes a lawyer needs to communicate your zero dollar settlement offer to the other side. The relavant rule (4-1) is reproduced below in its entirety. Doesn't matter if the amount is zero or $1.00, the offer should be communicated.

(a) Informing Client of Status of Representation. A lawyer shall:

(1) promptly inform the client of any decision or circumstance with respect to which the client's informed consent, as defined in terminology, is required by these rules;

(2) reasonably consult with the client about the means by which the client's objectives are to be accomplished;

(3) keep the client reasonably informed about the status of the matter;

(4) promptly comply with reasonable requests for information; and

(5) consult with the client about any relevant limitation on the lawyer's conduct when the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that the client expects assistance not permitted by the Rules of Professional Conduct or other law.

(b) Duty to Explain Matters to Client. A lawyer shall explain a matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding the representation.

The information on this website is provided as a service to the public. While the information on this site deals with legal issues, it does not constitute legal advice. If you have specific questions related to information available on this site, you are encouraged to consult an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask for free written information about a lawyer’s qualifications and experience. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice and none of the information presented here is intended to create a lawyer/client relationship. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

generally all offers are supposed to be communicated to the client.

I believe that all offers, regardless of amounts or terms, should be communicated to my clients.
Ron Slonaker, Attorney
Ocala, FL

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes