DOES A LAWYER HAVE TO BE LICENSED IN EACH STATE IN ORDER TO PRATICE THERE?

Mesa, AZ |

FOR EXAMPLE A BOARD CERTIFIED LAWYER LICENSED IN .. WISCONSIN ARE THEY ABLE TO LICENSE IN SAY ARIZONA WITH OUT ADDITIONAL CERTIFICATION? FOR THAT STATE?

Yes, a lawyer has to be licensed in each state in order to practice there (i.e. appear in court). In Arizona, it used to be that in order to be licensed, you had to take the Arizona bar exam. Now Arizona has reciprocity with many other states, such that if someone is licensed in another state and has been practicing for five years or more, they can become admitted in Arizona as well. But they still have to go through a process called Admission on Motion.

In addition to the path described by the other posting attorney, Wisconsin counsel could also jointly represent a client with Arizona-licensed counsel. It would then be the Arizona-licensed counsel's responsibility to supervise the practice of law in Arizona.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed in Arizona and can only provide general comments on matters outside of Arizona law. Actual legal advice can only be provided after a direct consultation in which all of the relevant facts are considered before providing a response.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Right. In California they call it pro hac vice.

yes, and each jurisdiction will have exceptions/procedures if a limited appearance is necessary or warranted.

Or if it is a federal matter before a federal agency, then in many cases, an attorney from one state may represent a party from another state. For example, Social Security, Veterans issues, etc.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

You pose two questions:

1. Does a lawyer need to be licensed in each state in order to practice there? Most of the time yes. Generally, in order for a lawyer to practice law, (s)he must be licensed to practice in that state. However, some attorneys only practice in federal court. An out-of-state attorney may practice only in federal court as long as he makes it known he is only licensed in the federal court (however, in order to be admitted in a federal court, you must have at least one state law license).

2. Can they practice in Arizona without additional certification? It depends. Some states offer reciprocity with other states as long as certain criteria are met (no sanctions, high score on the bar exam, practice for a length of time, etc...). However, each state has their own reciprocity rules and it can get rather tricky. For example, I took the Maryland and Pennsylvania bar exams, but I scored high enough on both of them to be exempt from sitting for the DC bar. Maryland requires all attorneys to take the bar exam, but Pennsylvania has reciprocity with DC. You would have to look into Arizon'a reciprocity rules for admission of out-of-state lawyers.

***
I proudly serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. My phone number is (443) 352-8517 and my email address is nick@proylaw.com. For more information, you can also visit my website at www.proylaw.com.

Licensed in MD, PA and DC. This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney until we have mutually agreed that I am your attorney. You should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction regarding your specific circumstances.