Does a landlord in Maryland have to give notice to a tenant before coming in to do repairs?

This reflects two issues that have come up - the windows are broken and the landlord has been bringing contractors through to do estimates; we have been informed in general but not specific dates and times; the second is a roof leak that came up two weeks ago. We informed the landlord who said they would send somebody by. The contractor came and said he would come back this week; they came by again today at 10 am to do the work and I told the contractor that I wouldn't let him in because he was trespassing as we hadn't gotten notice. The landlord in both cases said they had given notice and are doing repairs that are necessary for our enjoyment of the apartment.

Baltimore, MD -

Lawrence Roger Holzman

Lawrence Roger Holzman

Litigation Lawyer - Greenbelt, MD

Well at bottom beyond everything ejse you need to be reasonable too. If the guy came to do the work and you don't let him in, why us thst? Is there some reason? I would not recommend getting caught up on the " principle" here. You do want the landlord to maintain the property and make repairs.

The problem for you is that once you start diwn thus road you may find there is a time when you want something from your landlord. Fir example if you want to renew your lease. Regardless if whatever your lease says, if you've been difficult from the landlord's Perspective, he/she can simply say no, and then you'll have to move and there will be no recourse.

So I see this as more if a practical issue and a relationship issue than a straight legal question. If you have younger children over ten who ate legally left unsupervised fir example and you want to be sure nobody comes in when you aren't there, or you have pets to consider etc, or some other practical issue if your own, then you should explain to your landlord why you absolutely need exact notice. Otherwise, unless it has some significant issue fir you, you should roll with it. You can always express that you'd prefer better notice because you may be engaged in personal activities and not want interruptions etc, but I would play this cooperatively, and reasonably or you will have trouble later.

Remember, the guy who came out to do the work that day had his schedule messed up, the landlord probably had to pay extra, all around its bad and even if you're " right" legally you may be the loser in the end if you handle it poorly

Lawrence R. Holzman
301.876.4393

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

Litigation Lawyer - Irvine, CA

You need to read your lease to see what it says. It is a common provision in leases that landlord can enter the premises to conduct repairs, maintenance or inspections. See if that clause is in there, and if so, if it says there is some type of notice he has to give first.