Does a landlord have to provide receipts to tenant when asking for money for damages past the security deposit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Visalia, CA

My landlord is threatening to sue me if I don't pay what he is asking for. $50 to clean stove. $40 to clean bedrooms. $550 for painting house because walls were dirty? Money for spraying down patio and cleaning cobwebs. fixing uneven ground in the backyard from my dog digging. Can he really charge me for stuff like this? And this much? The list is much longer then this but I didn't want to list all of them. I moved out in a hury and the place was not clean and there were damages so I agree I should pay him something but this doesn't seem fair to me.

It has been 45 days since my lease ended and moved out. Can they send me an itemized list this late?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . No not necessarily. However, if the landlord actually sued you in small claims court, the landlord must prove not only that you caused such damages but also the dollar amount of damage.

Your best bet is to resolve the claim by paying something reasonable rather than be sued.

2. James Carl Eschen III

2

Answered . Your landlord has up to two years, four if you had a written lease in which you agreed to pay for damage, to sue you for the damage you caused to the unit above reasonable wear and tear. The landlord may recover only for the reasonable amount expended to repair and to clean.