Skip to main content

Does a homeowner's policy cover fraud?

Huntington Park, CA |

If I hired a person who represented to me through false advertising of a business card he was a licensed contractor to do some work on my property, and he did it wrong and later the city tells me I need to correct the work to bring the property up to code, does a homeowners policy cover this cost I must pay to correct everything?

Attorney Answers 3


"[D]oes a homeowners policy cover this cost I must pay to correct everything?" -- No. Your homeowner's policy may cover YOU for allegations of fraud but it will not not cover you when you make fraudulent allegations against someone else, i.e., the person you hired. In this circumstance, you must pay for and make the repairs. You have a claim against the other party which you may pursue in court. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful


No, your policy won't cover that cost. You need to consult with a real estate/business attorney who can review the agreement you had with the contractor and either sue the contractor and/or contact the CSLB.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Your insurance policy must be reviewed. No lawyer in this can give u a definite answer answer.
We need to read your policy. As per Fraud by contractor you need a lawyer that is a fraud examiner knows the "ropes" and he/she can help u . some of us in avvo are fraud examiners and we can help u with your insurance and your fraud issues.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics