Does a homeowner's policy cover fraud?

Asked about 1 year ago - Huntington Park, CA

If I hired a person who represented to me through false advertising of a business card he was a licensed contractor to do some work on my property, and he did it wrong and later the city tells me I need to correct the work to bring the property up to code, does a homeowners policy cover this cost I must pay to correct everything?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . "[D]oes a homeowners policy cover this cost I must pay to correct everything?" -- No. Your homeowner's policy may cover YOU for allegations of fraud but it will not not cover you when you make fraudulent allegations against someone else, i.e., the person you hired. In this circumstance, you must pay for and make the repairs. You have a claim against the other party which you may pursue in court. Good luck.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

1

1

Answered . No, your policy won't cover that cost. You need to consult with a real estate/business attorney who can review the agreement you had with the contractor and either sue the contractor and/or contact the CSLB.

SP@BeverlyHillsLawPartners.com
    323-703-3581

3. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

Answered . Your insurance policy must be reviewed. No lawyer in this can give u a definite answer answer.
    We need to read your policy. As per Fraud by contractor you need a lawyer that is a fraud examiner knows the "ropes" and he/she can help u . some of us in avvo are fraud examiners and we can help u with your insurance and your fraud issues.