Does a hand written contract have to be notarized to stand in court?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cresskill, NJ

I typed up a contract on my computer and wondering if it needs to be notarized for it to stand in court?

1. Frederick Charles Thomas

Pro

4

1

Answered . No. Notarization does nothing to validate the truth of a document or make a document legally binding, it merely is a method by which one can attest that the signatories on the document are whom they claim to be.

2. Martin L Bearg

2

Answered . To be legal, a contract requires an offer, an acceptance and consideration ($$$ or a promise to act or not act) between two or more people (including entities) who are competent. Unless it involves real property or will be performed for a period of more than a year, an oral contract is as valid as a written contract, however an oral contract is hard to prove (he said/she said). As noted by my colleagues, it nearly needs to be signed.

There is an old saying: "He who represents himself has a fool for a client." I did not handle my own divorce. I suggest you not write your own contract as there will be issues you will overlook.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.
  3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Thomas. Notarizing the document does not affect its validity. It merely takes away a potential argument that one of the parties did not sign the document.

James Frederick