Does a General Power of Attorney give the agent the right to give Power of Attorney to someone else?

Hopewell, VA |

The wording states "My agent shall have full authority to act on my behalf in relation to my property and affairs."

No. That is not a power the agent has.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

I agree with my colleague. This is not something an agent would normally be able to do. There may be a way to delegate some aspect of the agent's authority, however, or to hire someone to further the principal's interests. For example, the agent could hire an attorney to represent the principal.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

The wording you have provided does not allow you to delegate your powers to someone else. However, it is possible that other language in the POA document does allow you to delegate your powers. Look specifically for the word "delegate" in the POA document. As an agent under a POA, you can delegate your power to another person if the wording of the Power of Attorney document specifically allows you to do so. Not all Power of Attorney documents are the same -- there are no "standard forms." If the Power of Attorney document you have allows you to delegate your powers to someone else, than you can. This power to delegate your authority is permitted under the Virginia Uniform Power of Attorney Act, Subsection 5 of Section 64.2-1622. But again, this power must be specifically granted in the POA document.

Evan H. Farr can be reached at 703-691-1888 or at Evan is Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, which is approved by the American Bar Association, but Virginia has no procedure for approving certifying organizations. NOTICE - Unless expressly stated otherwise, this communication: (1) is not legal advice absent an existing attorney-client relationship between us; (2) does not create an attorney-client relationship; (3) does not constitute an offer, acceptance, or contract amendment; (4) may contain confidential or legally privileged information protected by the attorney-client relationship and/or work product privilege; (5) is only for the use of the individual to whom it is intended by the sender to be sent, and if you are not such recipient, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance upon this communication is prohibited; and (6) is not intended, and cannot be used, to avoid tax-related penalties pursuant to treasury department circular 230.

I agree with my colleagues. Generally you are not permitted to delegate duties under a Power of Attorney unless there is a specific provision granting you such permission.

Is there an alternate (or "back up") agent named in the Power of Attorney? If there is, and if you find yourself unable or unwilling to fulfill the duties of an agent, you may be permitted to provide the principal with a written renunciation of your position as his or her agent. Be sure to also inform the alternate agent that you are renouncing your position.

Please note that this answer is not based on Virginia law. I would recommend that you meet with a Virginia attorney to review any state-specific rules that may apply.

This answer is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may not be relied upon as legal advice. A careful examination of the facts is necessary before a legal answer may be relied on. You should consult your own attorney before taking or refraining from any legal action.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law