Does a federal pre-indictment defendant have a right to a Federal Defender in a proffer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

1. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

6

Answered . Yes. If you received a target letter you should have been advised of that right. Contact the federal defender, or the clerk of court to see about having a lawyer appointed for you.

2. Stephen F Wallace

5

Answered . Yes, just as a indigent defendant has a right during the target process. I have two right now.

3. Max Allen Keller

Pro

3

Answered . Generally, yes in Federal court, but not in state court. Contact the Federal Public Defender right away or a qualified , highly rated on Avvo.com ASAP.

4. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

Answered . Yes, if the person is other wise qualified. The quandary of your response is that the person is not a defendant until charged, i.e. indicted in your fact pattern. If the person has received the "target letter" it contains the suggestion by the government that the recipient contact a private attorney or the local federal defender.