Skip to main content

Does a excessive noise warning go on your record anywhere?

Portage, MI |

The police checked my ID and told me to keep the noise down, I complied. I was not issued a ticket or any other paperwork from the police. Music was a bit too loud and everyone present was over 21 and drinking. I received a letter from my apartment complex days later telling me they received notice of the incident reminding me to be a good neighbor by keeping the noise down. BUT will this show up on my "permanent" record anywhere?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't know what you mean by "permanent" record. There is no such thing. There are criminal records, employment records, records showing civil lawsuits etc. There is no one "file" kept on citizens in this country. You were not arrested and there were no charges filed against you.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.



Thanks! Will it show up on any of my records? Like you stated above: criminal, employment, civil lawsuits... No one was arrested and no charges were filed against anyone from this incident.

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant


I don't see how. I'm just going off what you've presented.


There is no record for the incident to show up on. I have no doubts that if you choose to continue that behavior, the apartment complex will likely ask you to leave. Did you hear me?

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.


It is likely that your landlord will retain a copy of the letter they sent. If you use them as a reference for a future tenancy, the matter might be disclosed to a prospective landlord. To that extent, the incident is part of your record.

You haven't identified the other parties involved in this question so I cannot determine whether I may have a conflict in this matter. Should it turn out that I have an attorney-client relationship with any of the other parties, my response to this question will not prevent me from continuing to represent an existing client.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer