Does a Disorderly Conduct Charge affect Immigration?

I was arrested for shoplifting in the USA recently. Instead of getting an ACD my lawyer asked the DA for my charges to be reduced to disorderly conduct and i did 4 days community service and paid a fee of $120 and one year probation. I was foolish to have committed such a crime, I am suppose to be returning to the USA in January for my masters. I have not lost my scholarship but i am worried if i will be denied entry in January and if it is best to wait it out until my probation is up. I do not hope to lose my scholarship and i do not know what will happen if i have to reapply and disclose that i have been arrested. Can i still be denied entry? Also i Am worried to death that i will be tortured by immigration to find out all the information about the case. I have a deposition letter.

Bronx, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Disorderly Conduct will not hurt your immigration. However, I don't understand why your lawyer didn't want an ACD.... it would have been dismissed and sealed 6 months earlier than your Disorderly Conduct will seal.

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Immigration Attorney - Pasadena, CA

Disorderly conduct generally would not be considered a crime involving moral turpitude, so it should not render you inadmissible to the US. Any arrest, however, can give rise to questions at the point of entry.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Your conviction shouldn't be a problem ... EXCEPT for the fact that you're not in the US and have a 1 year probation ... did you get written permission to leave the state?

You should consult with an immigration attorney ... many use Skype ... before attempting an entry to the US.

Related Advice