Does a dealership have to get you a second key after buying a 2007 Kia?

Council Bluffs, IA |

I asked where the 2nd key was when I picked up the car and their reply was they didn't have one!

They cannot give you more than they have. There is nothing that says that a car comes with two keys. You can probably get a set from the manufacturer or even on Ebay, for a reasonable amount. Of course, the dealer could do this, as well, for the sake of customer relations. But they are not legally required to.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

This lawyer was helpful. Really wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, but I appreciate his honesty and how quick he answered my question. Thank you very much! Patti

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Patti~ You are very welcome. I had exactly the same problem you did with one of my former cars. I was able to get a replacement on EBay for much less than the dealer wanted. James

But my key has a chip and has to be at the same place I get the key programed at? How do I buy a key off eBay and then get it programed?

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Mine was the same way. Believe it or not, they are available. Most of them can be programmed with instructions provided by the seller or that you can get online. SOME of them DO require you to get it programmed at the dealer or at least by a mechanic. You need to do some research, but there are a lot of options.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Patti