Does a court of record have to record a hearing?

Asked 6 months ago - Port Charlotte, FL

I do not have the money to pay for a court recorder and I am going for a contempt hearing this week. Since the 20th judicial circuit is a court of record can I claim IFP status and requests a court reporter be provided by the court since they are going to try to lock me up?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Clifford M. Miller


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The courts in Florida do not supply reporters. Some of them electronically records hearings. You need to check with the clerk of the court about that. Criminal hearings are usually electronically recorded, but it looks like you are facing civil contempt, or you would have been assigned a public defender.

    You should always, always, always, have a reporter with you on an evidentiary hearing. Before I tried my first case in Florida (a small claims case) a senior attorney, my partner (and father) told me that. He was right, and I needed the transcript of that trial for my complaint to the Judicial Qualification Committee when the judge (a non-lawyer hold-over from when we had justices of the peace) decided he would not follow the law as announced by the Florida Supreme Court, that lie detector results were inadmissible in court because he did not like the law. He told me if I refused to let my client take a lie detector test, he would rule against me. I refused (per the second maxim my father told me that morning - be respectful but do not be intimidated). That judge had to resign because of my complaint (and many others). The transcript was critical.

    The court reporter's appearance fee should be under $100.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client... more
  2. Jonathan R. Miller

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I am not a Florida attorney but I have never participated in a court hearing in which a court-provided reporter was not present. Does Florida require litigants to pay for a court reporter to record the court's own hearing? This would be news to me.

  3. Florin Valeriu Ivan

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Try to find an attorney to represent you or give you legal advice specific to your case. If you're indigent, you may contact organizations such as this:

    Nothing in this response is intended as legal advice to you, may not be relied upon by you as legal advice, and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,813 answers this week

2,944 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,813 answers this week

2,944 attorneys answering