Does a cosigner to an account of an elderly have the right to hand over checkbooks, debit cards to 1 sibling and not inform POA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Corpus Christi, TX

Two siblings are against 3 other siblings and have closed out surviving mother's Savings account and have withdrawn a CD that is an inheritance for all 5 siblings. They never infomed the POA and now the bank will not disclose any information to the POA! The POA needs all of Mom's assests back into account to pay for Mother's debts and nursing home. HELP, worried daughter in TX.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, there is no inheritance since mom is still alive!

    Second, I would retain an attorney immediately. As you have learned sometimes a POA is ignored because they can be revoked at anytime.

    I would look on this website and on the State Bar of Texas website for an attorney that specializes in elder law or probate law. You have a complex problem that needs legal assistance immediately. You might need to get in front of a judge pronto!

  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Brochstein. I think you may have a real problem on your hands. The POA gives you power to act on your mother's behalf. But it does not undo bad arrangements she had previously set up. It sounds like everything was jointly held with the other siblings. One of the negatives of joint property arrangements is that ANY joint tenant can usually jump in and grab funds. This is a horrible way to set things up and it leads to all kinds of situations like you are dealing with, right now.

    Whether or not a judge would allow them to KEEP the funds, under the circumstances, depends on the judge. You may also find that their grabbing the funds will prevent your mother from qualifying for Medicaid benefits.

    It is not clear what your siblings' intentions were/are or whether they will cooperate with you in paying for your mother's care. If they do not, you have no chance of recovering the funds without retaining a good lawyer. I would take the first step and speak with a lawyer right away.

    Best of luck to you and your mother!

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  3. Jessica Anne Newill

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other answers. You should consult an estate planning and probate attorney. A letter from an attorney on behalf of the POA may get the bank to cooperate in providing information. If the bank still refuses to cooperate, or even if they do and you find that your siblings have taken all the funds, to protect the resources your Mom has remaining, it may be necessary to initiate a guardianship proceeding. This would be appropriate if she does not have the capacity to manage her own financial affairs. It sounds like your Mom either gave away funds she needs for her care or is being financially exploited. Either way, she may need protection which is generally obtained through a guardianship.

    You could also consider contacting Adult Protective Services if you feel exploitation or abuse has taken place.

    This answer contains general information. None of the information contained in this communication is intended as... more
  4. Jacob Shad Mason

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are different types of POA. Do you know exactly what type of POA you are talking about?

    This advice being provided in no way represents the formation of a lawyer client relationship. This is advice... more

Related Topics

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or paternity, a family law attorney can advise her... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,156 answers this week

3,268 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,156 answers this week

3,268 attorneys answering