Does a contractor have to be licensed for an at cost construction contract (no profit contract)?

Asked over 1 year ago - Walnut Creek, CA

There is a dispute with a person that did a construction contract for me for 5000 dollars and he wants all his 5000 dollars but I want repairs done.

He says that he was not making any money so there was no consideration. But he was being compensated for what he spent.

He admits that he is unlicensed but he said that he was doing the work as a favor, just doing it at cost and 7031 did not apply to him.

I thought that 7031 applies to any construction contract more than a certain amount.

1. Edward Hall Cross

8

Best Answer

Answered . California Business and Professions Code §7031 prohibits an unlicensed contractor from filing suit for payment for work that required a license. Profit is irrelevant. The purpose of the law is to discourage unqualified individuals from performing construction work that could pose safety hazards. California law is merciless with unlicensed contractors. Nor can he sever out the portion that required a license and collect for the rest, unless the other parts were unrelated to the parts that required a license. The owner is almost always in the "driver's seat" when the contractor had no license.

2. Cathleen M Curl

5

1

Answered . Your contractor is 100% WRONG! The law doesn't care how much profit he was making, or if he was just doing a "favor" for you. An unlicensed contractor cannot sue for any money owed on a project, and you can demand a refund of any monies you do pay him. You could also file a complaint against him with the Contractors State License Board, if you chose to do so.

3. Paul Bradley Schroeder

4

Answered . Yes, a contractor must be licensed. If he is not, he is not entitled to be paid. Whether he was making money or not is irrelevant. You could hire a licensed contractor to perform the repairs and then sue him for the cost.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

1

Answered . Except in certain specified circumstances, California law is clear that a contractor's license (CSLB) is required only for work "valued at $500 or more in labor and materials."

5. Chi Leung Ip

2

1

Answered . You have a disgorgement action against this unlicensed contractor. Business and Professional Code 7031(b) is applicable even when the unlicensed contractor lost money on the job. You are entitled to recover all $5,000 paid to him. The unlicensed contractor has no equitable defense against your disgorgement claim, such as unjust enrichment. Edward C. Ip www.lawyer4property.

6. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

3

Answered . However, notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 143, the court may determine that there
    has been substantial compliance with licensure requirements under this section if it is shown at an evidentiary hearing that the person who engaged in the business or acted in the capacity of a contractor (1) had been duly licensed as a contractor in this state prior to the performance of the act or contract, (2) acted reasonably and in good faith to maintain proper licensure, (3) did not know or
    reasonably should not have known that he or she was not duly licensed when performance of the act or contract commenced, and (4) acted promptly and in good faith to reinstate his or her license upon
    learning it was invalid.

7. Joel I Hoffman

Pro

1

Answered . Almost all states require contractors to be licensed. the fact that the contractor did not make a profit is irrelavent.