Skip to main content

Does a contempt of court charge create a criminal record?

Monroe, NC |

North Carolina law is very confusing. I was convicted of .08 DUI. 18hours of traffic school and 8 hours community service were condiitions for license restoration.
Completed traffic school and called community service to schedule. Was told I was issued a court order to appear in court because community service was not completed within 30 days of sentence.

Went before NC judge today. Explained could not be in compliance with community service because office would not allow me to complete before this hearing - and provided evidence of attempts to schedule and that conduct was not unwillful. Judge did not giordered me to 24h jail. Attorney in underlying matter came in to court and rescued my by appeal.
I'm probably doing jail time on appeal. Will this go on a public record?

Typos! Judge ordered me to 24 hours jail and I provided evidence conduct was not willful (he didn't suspend my provisional license at least) The community service office will not let me schedule my community service until a judge makes a determination - tried to schedule it 3x. My attorney services 25 customers in court at any given time and didn't have the time to talk to him after the appealed hearing. So, thanks for your time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you have an attorney, why not ask him/her? Nonetheless, any conviction will cause a criminal record and it appears that contempt of court is a conviction. However, before you give up hope and expect to go to jail, why not go back and get the community service done as soon as possible and then you're done. Get your attorney to help you get community service to abide by your needs. They usually want someone who will get the work done quickly.

Good luck to you.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer