Does a congressional inquiry result in any substantive action?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ann Arbor, MI

I've recently submitted a congressional inquiry to my representative in the House regarding an ongoing case against a Air Force Criminal Investigator. I am a civilian that was a victim of abuse in this case. As I'm currently waiting to hear back from the Rep's Office, I do know their military liaisons have received the inquiry. A copy of my letter to my congressional rep also went to the Inspector General of the Office of Special Investigations (OSI)/AF. Given the military's, especially the Air Force, poor record on ending assault against women, I am wondering if the filed inquiry will bring any punitive action or results. If not, is there any legal recourse? The AF deployed my ex partner as I was in the process of filing a civilian PPO and I cannot do anything else at the moment.

1. John Daniel Hafemann

2

Answered . Unfortunately, time and time again individuals do not see the results they expect after filing a Congregational Inquiry. Whether or not there is any additional action you can take really depends on what your claim and the resulting damages are. More facts regarding your circumstances are needed. Most of the attorneys who post answers to questions on Avvo offer free consultations. Take advantage of this service. Good luck.

2. Wojciech Zbigniew Kornacki

2

Answered . It depends, I see a lot of congressional inquiries that result in no action. However, they are protected communications and you cannot be penalized for communicating with your Congressional representatives. Depending on the nature of the assault, and the recency, there may be other ways to resolve this.

3. Kenneth James Phillips

1

1

Answered . A congressional inquiry can be an effective way to draw attention to a legal issue. The military service is not supposed to receive any adverse action for using the inquiry system. Generally though, the congressional will result in some bad feelings from the Chain of Command. I generally direct my clients to file congressional inquiries as part of a coordinated plans. They do not seem to be effective as the only means of attack.