Does a company have to honor a price on their website, even if they claim it's a mistake or "glitch"

Houston, TX |

This company advertised a price of $16.33 per 10oz can of pressure duster (canned air). Ridiculously high as it is, they say that the price was a mistake and that they actually charge $29.99/can. I am dealing with the BBB to get a refund of the pricing difference and don't know how far I should take it. They've agreed to a partial refund, but I would like the remaining $400. Should I push it?

Well, my boss actually paid $29.99/10oz can totaling $719/case. (Ordered from a Telephone Marketer) Then, I discovered the website price of $16/can or $387.30/case. It is still a lot for canned air, but we would like to recoup some of this ridiculous purchase, so I want them to honor the website price. I must mention that the company was unaware that I could see any prices. I was able to find the prices on a link that they did not know was showing prices. Then they told me the prices were incorrect - a "glitch" on the website

1. Sorry, I can't follow your question. How much did you actually pay, for how many cans?

Companies can be liable under the DTPA (Deceptive Trade Practices Act) for false advertising. Ads are not generally considered an offer, just an invitation for you to offer to buy at that price, so there's probably not a contract at the advertised price.

Of course, the other critical question is - how muct time and money are you willing to spend to pursue a $400 refund? Filing suit will definitely not be economicaly feasible.

Business topics