Does a company have a right to garnish money from a checking account without prior notice?

We found out today that our checking account has been garnished. There was 1300 dollars in there and $600 of that was child support money. Do they have a right to do this without notifying us and do they have a right to take child support money? Thanks

Lexington, KY -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (2)

Renee Mayerson Cannella

Renee Mayerson Cannella

Debt Collection Attorney - Stamford, CT

in most jurisdictions the only way to obtain a garnishment is after first having a judgement. once there is a judgement they do not give notice that they are going to execute against a bank account. there are exemptions available in every jurisdiction. you should contact a local attorney or the court clerk to find out how you can claim the exemption.

Disclaimer: The foregoing answer does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Cannella or her... more
Young Walgenkim

Young Walgenkim

Lemon Law Attorney - Salem, OR

Generally, they need to have a judgment against you before they can start garnishing your bank account. Even with a judgment, they need to send you a notice of garnishment and allow you a chance to challenge the garnishment. I would go to the court and find out if you can still challenge the garnishment.
Also, it's a good idea to contact a consumer attorney in your area for help. You can find a list of consumer attorneys on the NACA website:

This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.