Does a company have a right to garnish money from a checking account without prior notice?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lexington, KY

We found out today that our checking account has been garnished. There was 1300 dollars in there and $600 of that was child support money. Do they have a right to do this without notifying us and do they have a right to take child support money? Thanks

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Renee Mayerson Cannella

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . in most jurisdictions the only way to obtain a garnishment is after first having a judgement. once there is a judgement they do not give notice that they are going to execute against a bank account. there are exemptions available in every jurisdiction. you should contact a local attorney or the court clerk to find out how you can claim the exemption.

    Disclaimer: The foregoing answer does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Cannella or her... more
  2. Young Walgenkim

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Generally, they need to have a judgment against you before they can start garnishing your bank account. Even with a judgment, they need to send you a notice of garnishment and allow you a chance to challenge the garnishment. I would go to the court and find out if you can still challenge the garnishment.
    Also, it's a good idea to contact a consumer attorney in your area for help. You can find a list of consumer attorneys on the NACA website:

    This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,391 answers this week

3,641 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,391 answers this week

3,641 attorneys answering