Does a company by have to pay unused vacation?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Worcester, MA

I was laid off by a company in MA in Mid Jan, I have 2 weeks unused vacation for 2012. The company only gives me last week's paycheck and didn't pay any money for vacation. Is that legal? They probably figure it is only two weeks into 2012, but I just wonder if legally the law requires they should reimburse vacation.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Gary S. Sinclair

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Recently, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that an employer must compensate an employee for unused vacation time if the employee is discharged. In Electronic Data Systems Corp. v. Attorney General (2009), the Court upheld the Attorney General's advisory ruling that interprets an existing Massachusetts law known as the Wage Act.

    Although the Court did not discuss the issue directly, the Attorney General's ruling specifically requires employers to compensate employees for unused vacation even if the employee leaves voluntarily. If you have trouble with your employer on this issue, try the Attorney General's Fair Labor Hotline at (617) 727-3465.

    Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law... more
  2. Deborah Gwen Roher


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Following up on the previous answer, you say you have "unused vacation for 2012," but there may be room to dispute whether you had earned and accrued that time before you were laid off. The Massachusetts wage law does require an employer to pay you upon termination for vacation time "due... under an oral or written agreement," but read your employer's handbook or pay stubs or other documentation carefully to see when that time became or was to become "due."

    Disclaimer: exchange of information on this site does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Barbara L. Horan

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, the Massachusetts Wage Act, G.L. c. 149 Section 148, does require it.

    If you were laid off, you were "involuntarily terminated," and your former employer should have paid you for any accrued but unused vacation time earned under its written or oral employment policy at the time of your termination.

    Moreover, discharged employees must be paid all wages due and owing ON THE DAY OF TERMINATION (unless you were absent from work on that day). (Note that the statute does not cover hospital employees and "casual employees," persons who worked less than 5 days).

    If you can establish that you are a covered employee and that your employer violated this (and any other) provision of the Wage Act statute, the statute REQUIRES that your employer pay you what you are owed, PLUS triple damages (three times what you are owed) PLUS your attorneys fees.

    Note that claims for unpaid wages (including unused vacation pay) are subject to any mandatory arbitration provisions in a negotiated employment agreement.

    Finally, note that in order to pursue a claimed violation of the wage laws, you must first obtain permission to sue (a "private right of action") from the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. You can do this by completing a wage act complaint form on the Attorney General's website at (search for "wage complaint").

    Attorney Horan is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. The response provided here is informational only, not... more
  4. Phil A. Taylor

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Earned, unused vacation time is considered wages. All wages due must be paid at the time you were discharged from employment. A complaint can be filed first with the Attorney General.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general,... more
  5. Andres Rivera-Ortiz

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Probably not, in Fla for example they would not have to, and it is probably the same in your state, if you are an employee "at will" ( no employment contract or union contract covering you). There is no federal law that requires it. However, note that state employment laws can be different depending on the state you are in, you need to talk to an employment lawyer in your state to look at your specific situation . A good source to find on one is the National Employment Lawyers Association ( google NELA), they have a feature on their web site to find employment lawyers that represent workers in your state.

    Legal disclaimer: This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice.... more

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Elizabeth Raye Ison

Pantoja v. Anton

In Pantoja v. Anton, a California Court of Appeal (Fifth Appellate District) overturned a trial courts decision to exclude me too evidence presented by the plaintiff; that is, testimony... more

Employee benefits

Employee benefits are what employers offer their workers that is also an incentive to work for their company. This can include health and retirement benefits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,468 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,468 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering