Skip to main content

Does a commercial mortgage broker in NY State requires any licensing?

Jamaica, NY |

If a business located in NY State arranges loans (commercial real estate, equipment leasing, small business loans etc.) between borrowers and lenders for a fee, do they need to have a license to operate in the state?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes. Article 12-A of the New York Real Property Law requires you to be licensed as a real estate broker in order to arrange/negotiate any type of commercial real estate loan secured by a mortgage. I have included a link to the relevant portion of the NYS Department of State website below. Good luck.


Yes. See the attached.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer