Does a civil charge of refusal to give a blood test in a dui case violate probation?

i am on probation and was first charged with dui but when i blew 0.00 at the station they wanted to take a blood sample and i refused. does that violate probation sense a first time refusal is a civil charge and not a criminal charge?

Roanoke, VA -

Timothy Kevin Wilson

Timothy Kevin Wilson

DUI / DWI Attorney - Manassas, VA

The wording of your question is not clear, but I am going to make some assumptions and give you an answer.

I am assuming you were placed on probation after being convicted of another criminal offense which you did not mention, and that your arrests for DUI and Refusal came after you were placed on probation.

Assuming this to be true, both arrests could be considered violations of probation. Although probation terms vary, they all include some requirement that you not violate any laws. You should consult the rules of probation to see what specific wording is used and see if it is limited to criminal laws. Even though Refusal is civil and the only sanction is the revocation of the privilege to drive, I believe that a court would likely view a conviction for either DUI or Refusal as a violation of the terms of your probation. Furthermore, I have seen courts find that the terms of probation have been violated by the mere fact of an arrest - without even waiting to see whether the person was convicted.

It is important that you retain an experienced and successful Virginia Criminal Defense Lawyer to assist you with this matter.

For important answers to other Frequently Asked Questions about DUI, Criminal and Traffic Offenses in Virginia, visit my website at: http://www.tkevinwilsonlawyer.com/faq.cfm.

T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
The Wilson Law Firm
DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense...When Results Matter
9300 Grant Avenue, Suite 301
Manassas, Virginia 20110

Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
Telephone 703-361-6100
Facsimile 703-365-7988

www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

*** DISCLAIMER ***
The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. The Wilson Law Firm disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by The Wilson Law Firm and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.
, you have been found guilty of violating the law - and therefore, despite Refusal being civil, could be found

Erick Masten Platten

Erick Masten Platten

DUI / DWI Attorney - Tyler, TX

Hello there,

If this refusal is from the same transaction being the same first DWI it will not be a violation of your probation.

People need to understand that there are two types of violations. One and new criminal offense and Second, a technical violation. A technical violation could be not doing community service or paying probation fees etc.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

DUI / DWI Attorney - Atlanta, GA

the DUi arrest would probably violate the terms of your probation