Does a car dealership have to honor an internet price?

Hugoton, KS |

I have found a car online and think that the dealership has put the wrong price.
I am wondering do they have to sell me the car for the price that it is advertised for?

No. Generally, an ad is an offer which is not in and of itself an enforceable contract. It can be accepted by a buyer, but can also be withdrawn before it's accepted.

Especially when ads are on sites that aren't controllled by the advertiser, they have disclaimers that say that they're not responsible for typos, there are limited quanities available, not all locations honor the ad, etc. etc. These arguments are less persuasive when the site is contolled by the advertiser, but even then, websites have errors, and you seem to suspect that this was an error.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

There are VERY rare instances where sellers are held to ads. And, most have disclaimers buried somewhere in their ad (including online), where they can correct errors. The dealer can withdraw the offer because ads are really solicitations for you to make an offer.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

NO. If you think it is a wrong price that is evidence that it was an obvious error. That is different than Wal-Mart or Target or Lowe's where they have a policy of honoring mistaken prices and then quickly thereafter correcting them. On the one-time items, the Seller is going to be allowed to correct an obvious error.

So far, this is free to you. Until you pay a fee, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client, so you take any free advice at your sole risk. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Business topics