Does a California background check (visa/immigration purposes) will affect an undocumented immigrant?

Campbell, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

I am undocumented in this country, but in order to get a Italian citizenship through marriage with my wife I need to get a Department of Justice background check (visa/immigration purposes) and an FBI background check (asked by the Italian Consulate). I have never been arrested or be involved in any problem. Do I have to be concerned that this background check will be connected with immigration?

No, that type of background check results will not be reported to any immigration agency. Put your mind at ease. Which which Italian Consulate requested this type of background checks? San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Its San Francisco, as long as I know, that's a normal process applied to any foreign, including US citizens. Thanks for your help

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You're very welcome!

G-d knows what you might have there in your record and you, of course. We do not. Hence, you should ask G-d this question or yourself, not us.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

I have never seen a problem arise from submitting a background check request nor an FBI check. As a matter of precaution, as a reason for the request, I write "for my own review."

Recommended articles about Immigration