Skip to main content

Does a British National living and working legally in Mexico City need a tourist visa to travel to America for a holiday?

Las Vegas, NV |

I am a British National living and working (fm3- working visa) in Mexico City. I have just booked a 6 day holiday in Vegas for April. However I have read that visa waiver holders can not exit America through Mexico or Canada. I am planning to come back to Mexico after my holidays.

Is working legally here, having a steady job and bank accounts enough to secure an unevenful trip?

Thank you very much in advance. Any information would be great.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can enter the U.S. on a Visa Waiver. However, check with the airline and make sure that they are authorized until the Visa Waiver program.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Drew Allan Cicconi

Drew Allan Cicconi


Vegas Vacationer. A completed Form I-94W, Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Record (green form), is required from all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) visitors to the United States at land ports of entry. Each VWP applicant for admission is exempt from a visitor’s visa (B1/B2) if he or she is a citizen of any of the VWP countries. Currently, authorization for travel under the VWP via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is not required if arriving at a U.S. land port of entry. Citizens or nationals of the United Kingdom are currently eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP. However, this applies to British citizens only with the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. On the other hand, citizens or nationals of Mexico are not currently eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP.I’ll let you figure out why. If an intending traveler has any doubt about whether he will be admissible to the United States without a visa, he should contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain a nonimmigrant visa prior to travel. Drew Allan Cicconi Attorney at Law

Ashkan Emami

Ashkan Emami


Good answer

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer