Skip to main content

Does a birth father need to sign over his rights at an adoption clinic for the mother, if he doesn't know yet he is the father?

Medford, MA |

My finance and I have been together for 6 years and we have a 2 year old son together. He cheated on me once, and the girl is claiming he is the father of her child. My fiance said he really couldn't help her with the unborn child so she decided to give the child up for adoption. Does he have to go to the adoption clinic to sign papers, if he doesn't even know he is the father?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


He should probably obtain a determination regarding the paternity of the child. He could possibly be responsible for an enormous amount of child support. It wouldn't make sense for him to admit paternity if it is not the case.
Adoption usually does require the consent of the biological parents.
The main consideration should always be: "what's in the best interests of the child"?

Best wishes.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer