Does 221(g) administrative processing for B2 visa mean the consular officer accepted my application?

Athens, OH |

The consular officer handed me a 221(g) white form after my interview and checked a section on it that said : " your application requires administrative processing and/or additional clearances". He didn't request additional documents, just told me that the embassy will call me back if they want to stamp a visa and gave me my passport and the form. I am Syrian and I applied in Lebanon because the embassy in Syria is closed. Since the officer didn't tell me I'm denied right away does that mean he accepted my application and it just has to go through routine processing? And is there a chance of being denied after the administrative processing results?

1. It is neither an approval or denial at this stage. It means that they will be investigating your application.

Yes, there is a chance of being denied.

Unfortunately, all you can do is wait for their decision.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. There's absolutely no way to predict the outcome of your case especially since I'm certain that the application will be even more closely scrutinized based on current events in the area. You'll have to be patient and wait for a response. If you wish, you can hire a lawyer who can help you with getting to the bottom of this.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

3. They always take your money and the application ... there is no special significance by them 'accepting' your application.

Most likely they are having to do background checks on you ... because you went to the 3rd country consulate.

You'll have to wait and see.

How long to wait? If you haven't heard in 3 months, you can contact them ... not sooner.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

4. It means you have to wait. The consulate is doing its own investigation on your application.

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova www.shautsova.com www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com