Skip to main content

Does "under oath" for verified complaint requires a notary?

New York, NY |

I'm looking NY CPL 3020 : Verification , and it says " A verification is a statement under oath that the pleading is true . . . " Does " under oath " require a notary to sign off on it or just the boiler plate " under oath " language ( I , the undersigned certify under penalty of perjury and pursuant to the laws of the State that the foregoing statements are true and correct to the best of my knowledge ) ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, for a verification you must sign in front of a notary. An attorney would sign an affirmation under penalty of perjury.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or



Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.



So I got served with a complaint that says verified but it isn't notarized. From what I read, that means nothing in it is "evidence." Is there anything particular that I need to point out in my pleadings? Or just respond as if it is an unverified complaint? Thanks.


Dear do I need a notary?

A verification is a form of affidavit. An affidavit is executed in the presence of a notary.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.


It must be notarized.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer