Does the re-entry permit affects my residency when I turn to USA ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

What are the consequences that could happen ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

1

Answered . A Re-Entry Permit allows to remain outside of the US for up to two years without losing your green card.

2. Laura Justine Jacobson

4

Answered . It depends on your purpose for the re-entry permit: are you already a permanent resident or are you in the process of applying?

If you're in the process of applying, the re-entry permit can allow you to leave and return to the U.S. without abandoning your application. You should always be careful about travel, though, while you have an application pending. Consult with an immigration lawyer first who can review all the details of your situation and better advise you.

If you are already a permanent resident, the purpose of a re-entry permit is to protect your status when you travel outside of the U.S. For most travel, you don't need a re-entry permit. However, if you're going to be out of the U.S. for more than a year, you should apply for a re-entry permit first, so that you aren't considered to have abandoned your status in the U.S.

Regardless, this sounds like something you should talk to a lawyer about before leaving the U.S., so that you can be better advised of all the possible consequences.

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . You should definitely consult with an immigration attorney before you do any traveling.

As my colleague stated, there are a number of different scenarios in which a person can have a travel document. This area of the law is rather complicated, so you most definitely should check with an experienced attorney before you leave the United States, to be sure that you don't get caught up in problems upon your return to the United States.