Does "STOP" painted on the road have legal effect?

Annapolis, MD |

White line with "STOP" painted on road. No stop sign or traffic signal. Can you be ticketed for not stopping, or is this basically a fake stop sign?

It depends in part on who painted it.

All I know is it wasn't me.

I doubt its a fake stop sign. It doesnt sound like something from the state of Maryland or a county.i would need to see a picture .I think you have an arguement against ticketing.

Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm

It depends. To be a properly placed traffic control device, it must be placed by the political subdivision that has jurisdiction.

If you would like further information, please contact my office to schedule a free no obligation consultation. I'm located in Annapolis. 410-286-1220.

Please bring your charging document with you.

Traffic tickets topics