Does "south 3 ft." on my prop deed create an enforceable easement? Does that create an easement for 3 ft. or the entire length?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

The property deed grants an easement stating "for the south 3 feet of said property" for conduits.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's necessary to review the whole legal description, not just a few words.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree the entire legal description needs to be consulted. Having said that my interpretation is that on the southerly boundary of the property there is an easement for the benefit of (someone or entity) for conduits. The easement runs the entire length of the southerly boundary 3’ in. So, if the southerly boundary is 20’ the easement is a strip of land 3’ x 20’. Still, in any particular circumstance the description may be ambiguous and prior use or other evidence of the intent of the grantor may be important.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . One would have to read the entire deed - and would want to know if the conduits are actually already in place to understand what was intended when the easement was created.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,557 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,557 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering