Doctor sent me for an xray, less than a week later I had a miscarriage. What can I do?

Asked 12 months ago - New Haven, CT

I told her all of my symptoms including lower back pain I was having. She was not listening to me nor properly wrote down what I was there for in her notes. Bottom line with my throwing up, nauseous, hot flashes and so on she should had first gave me a pregnancy test. If she did, I would had not gotten the xray and more than likey not had a miscarriage. What can I do? What are my rights?

1. Philip Anthony Fabiano

4

1

Answered . I am very sorry for your loss.
    You believe that your miscarriage was caused by the x-ray. I find this very unlikely but I am not a doctor. In order to pursue any type of medical negligence case a medical expert would need to review the records to determine if the standard of care was breached--in your case: 1. whether you should have been questioned about a potential pregnancy before an x-ray and whether an x-ray is contraindicated when a women is pregnant and 2. whether the x-ray was a subtantial contributing factor to the miscarriage.
    Also, I assume from your question that you did not know you were pregnant, consequently you were not that far along in your pregnancy. Unfortunately most states do not recognize a claim for medical negligence in such a circumstance until a child is viable.
    I do not think this is a claim but I would suggest you meet with an attorney who handles medical negligence cases in your state for a full evaluation of all the facts and circumstances of your care.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . Have a local malpractice lawyer investigate.

Pro

3

Answered . You can certainly have a local malpractice lawyer investigate

4. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

1

Answered . Our firm regularly handles medical malpractice cases, I would suggest contacting our Bridgeport office to set up an appointment and discussing this matter further.