Do you think the court will let me pay my fine payment a few days late?

Mojave, CA |

i currently do not have a job and wont have the money till about 5 days after my payment is due . i also am in the process of getting my license so i don't want it to affect that .

1. Sure, they'll let you, but you'll be paying more than the fine - they'll add late fees, etc. And, if this is a criminal fine, they "could" issue a bench warrant for your arrest due to non-payment (you don't mention what kind of fine this is). As far as your license goes, if it is paid before you apply for it, no issue since it's paid. But, if it's not, then your license won't be issued.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. It's best to inform the court of your financial circumstances prior to being late.

3. This is more of a criminal law issue than a late fee issue, so I will change the Practice Area for you in hopes you may get some additional responses.

Generally, if you do NOTHING, the Court will AUTOMATICALLY add significant amounts of money (sometimes double or triple the total amount) to an unpaid fine AND might issue a bench warrant for your arrest (depending on the amount of the fine and the reason for it).

You should contact the Court clerk IMMEDIATELY (do NOT wait until you are late!!) to find out (a) what happens if you are a few days late; and (b) if there is any way to get a brief extension of time.

If this is a serious fine that could result in a bench warrant, you should beg and borrow to get this paid on time. Getting arrested adds a HUGE amount of complications and expense that will far exceed the fine.

If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general information purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This is not legal advice, simply information. You SHOULD NOT act on this information without consulting a competent bankruptcy attorney in your area and providing ALL relevant information.

4. Contact the criminal clerk's office and ask them what the ramifications will be if you pay a few days late. It might be better to do it in person; sometimes one-on-one is more effective and you can convince the clerk to handle it specially for you. If this happened in LA and not Mojave, that would be useless to try. But in smaller and friendlier counties you might be able to make something like that happen.

The clerk can also tell you how to put yourself on calendar to inform the court, if the clerk thinks that would be necessary.