Do you think it is prudent to go before a judge myself to ask for a continuance?

Asked over 2 years ago - Maple Valley, WA

we had settled on a deal his lawyer never typed it up, too busy. he told me to drop my lawyer because we could not afford it. he is in vegas i am in seattle. He has never been unemployed ever. He wants to change all of the terms of our agreement

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unless and until an agreement is reduced to writing pursuant to CR2A, a court will not enforce it. You need counsel -- to rely on you ex for advice is a fatal flaw that will end badly. Please cosult with and retian an attorney to protect your rights. It is very difficult to come to an agreemnt with your ex without the advice of counsel that is not tainted by emotional stress and wll probably be unfair to you.

    Hope this helps

    The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for... more
  2. Rodney George Pierce

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You do not say what type of agreement you have with "him" whom I will assume is your husband, nor is itr clear what it is that you want to have continued." In any case, the best thing to do is to get some assistance so you can be fully advised.

    I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. You may contact my office and I will be happy to discuss the issue with you right away.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Pierce is licensed to practice law in Washing with an office in Seattle and services... more
  3. Frances Turean

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Agree with all of the answers below. It never hurts to ask for a continuance, but don't rely on getting one. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.

  4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Who is 'he', this person who convinced you to drop your lawyer, agree to a deal, not finalize the settlement, then renegotiate anew one. Your statement is clear as mud. Yes you can file a continuance, unless there has already been one or two continuances, in which case the court may refuse.

    Consider rehiring that attorney...

    I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering your query and my answer do not create an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,055 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,055 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering