Do you think I have a good case Unjust enrichment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

My domestic partner and I:
1. Started a business (in her name)
2. Bought a home (in her name, I gave her money for the mortgage in the form of a gift letter).
We only put those two things in her name out of necessity, not because we wanted to (long story, possible duress, possible undue influence).

I spent $15,000 on credit cards renovating the home and the business.
I had to file bankruptcy because of this after we split up (she knew I would have to and asked my friends to help me months before we split up.)

I was on her health insurance as a domestic partner, btw.

Now she has the home (worth $75,000 in equity) , the business (worth $80,000+) and I have no money and I am bankrupt.

I want to sure her for the equity in the home, the value of the business and future profits, renovations.

I meant sue, not sure.

I gave sweat equity to the business. I gave intellectual property to the business.

She may be willing to give me $30,000 but she wants no part of a professional mediator or any binding promissary note, etc.

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

4

1

Answered . These types of cases can be very difficult to get anywhere with. There are no common law rights for you to rely on regarding the house. Since you're not on the Deed and signed a document stating that the money was a gift, you're likely going to get nothing out of the house. You may have a shot at something with the business, but there are a lot of details you're going to have to go over with an attorney. You should consult with a local litigator to see how viable your claims are. $30,000 may not be an unreasonable offer under the circumstances, but you really should explore those circumstances in detail with your own attorney.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . The gift letter is a problem re: your equity claim.

3. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear Bankrupt Partner:

New York is not a palimony state. Courts prefer that commercial disputes between business partners rely upon some form of written agreement (contract) or partnership agreement. When proof of an agreement is established by a document then the court may make a judgment derived from the memorialized understanding of the parties on how income, assets, liabilities and profits would be shared in the event a party claims damages due to breach of the agreement.

When you do not do this, you have to get beyond the appearance that two persons involved with each other to the point of declaration of domestic partnership, did what they did for love.

Consult with attorneys who may review your evidence and proof, and evaluate with you in a confidential setting causes of action you may have.

4. Yan Margolin

1

Answered . There are two main impediments: the deed to the house is in her name, and the gift letter evinces intent of exactly that: a gift. It will not sound viable to claim that she is unjustly enriched by a gift.

However, if you did labor, technical work or development without a signed partnership agreement, you may still have a case for unjust enrichment, as well as possibly breach of fiduciary duty. However, I think all said, $30,000 may not be so bad. Just be more careful with who you trust, and remember that a domestic partner ultimately owes you nothing.

5. Philip R. Brown

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorney. In addition to their responses, it may be very difficult to find a lawyer who will take your claim on a contingency fee. Thus, you may be forced to pay an attorney on hourly basis. If the case you describe Is drawn out, it is likely you will pay your lawyer more than you will recover in your case. Thus, It will be difficult to litigate your case on a "cost-efficient basis".