Do you need to be unemployed to apply for disability.

Azle, TX |

I have emphysema and am currently employed. It is getting harder and harder to preform on the job. I feel it is only a matter of time until I will be unable to preform. Do I have to wait until I can no longer work to apply for disability?

If you're talking about applying for Social Security Disability Insurance, then the answer is a little complicated. The best thing for your claim would be if you were not working at all. However, you can still make a claim for SSDI benefits if you are working a little bit (making less than about $1000 per month, before taxes). No matter how bad it gets, if you can still work and make more than $1000 per month, Social Security will not consider your disability claim.

Please call our firm at 1-866-959-5362 if you would like to discuss your case in more detail. The answers I provide on Avvo.com are for information purposes only, and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between us.