Do you need to ask your neighbor for permission to have your lot surveyed?

Muskegon, MI |

boundary disbute -dropping rocks on side of fence to fill in gaps to prevent animals from going under deck. There is a 6 inch property line on other side of fence and rocks were not out of the boundry.

1. I would say no, if you are paying for the survey. I might be inclined to let him know, however. Open communication can overcome a multitude of issues.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

2. One does not require another land owner's permission to get one' own land surveyed. However, notice to the neighbor may be beneficial to the extent they may also want their land surveyed. As there is obviously a common lot line, there are certain economies of scale that can work to your mutual benefit.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.