Do you need to ask your neighbor for permission to have your lot surveyed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Muskegon, MI

boundary disbute -dropping rocks on side of fence to fill in gaps to prevent animals from going under deck. There is a 6 inch property line on other side of fence and rocks were not out of the boundry.

1. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I would say no, if you are paying for the survey. I might be inclined to let him know, however. Open communication can overcome a multitude of issues.

James Frederick

2. Keith G Langer

2

Answered . One does not require another land owner's permission to get one' own land surveyed. However, notice to the neighbor may be beneficial to the extent they may also want their land surveyed. As there is obviously a common lot line, there are certain economies of scale that can work to your mutual benefit.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.