Do you need any type of business license for a simple photo sharing website in Florida?

Asked 8 months ago - Boca Raton, FL

There will be no sales of any kind, just photo sharing. Thank you!

1. Gust G Sarris

3

Answered . Although your business may not need a license you probably should contact a local business attorney. Although many people think attorneys just add costs; we often can add value by preventing problems by reviewing contracts, labor issues, etc. I do not believe you will need a local license as it sound like your business is online. However, if you have a physical location you may need one. Talk to a local attorney - it should be worth the cost if nothing else for the peace of mind. Good luck! As a side note I am confused as to what type of business has no sales - how do you make money?

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

3

Answered . You should see a Florida-licensed attorney so the attorney can go over your specific activity and determine if it would qualify as a business. You may well need to at least file a DBA [fictitious name filing] if this website is operated as a business under a different name than your own. My guess is you plan to fund this site by advertising and that will make it a business, and if so it is likely a Florida business and you likely will need advice from a Florida attorney.

3. Daniel Nathan Ballard

1

Answered . If you're not engaged in business then you don't need a business license. What does it mean to "engage in business?" That depends on your state's labor law. If you operate a website from which you do not sell anything but, nonetheless, you derive income -- say be letting ads be published on your site -- then you're likely engaged in business.

In addition to figuring out whether you're engaged in business, you need to speak with a Florida-licensed intellectual property attorney about how to set up your "photo sharing website" properly so as to protect you from copyright infringement lawsuits, defamation lawsuits, potential charges for distributing pornography and a whole host of other readily anticipated risks. Good luck.