Do you need an attorney to file contempt of court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baytown, TX

my stepson's mom has moved and we have not been informed of the move. we have a court order that states we either be notified 60 days in advance or within 5 days of moving.

1. J. Trenton Bond

Pro

1

Answered . Contempt is a very detailed and fact specific action, and needs to be plead correctly. You should contact a lawyer immediately to assist you if you are serious about filing a Motion to Enforce.

2. Fran Brochstein

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys.

However, it appears that you have learned that Mom has moved. The first thing to do is for Dad to call, text or email her and ask for her new address. If she won't reply then contact her former landlord and see if the landlord knows her new address. I assume that you are attempting to find out where the child is now living so that you can pick up the child for visitation. Do some "detective work". Even if you hire an attorney, you are going to need to "serve" her with paperwork work to file a contempt action against her.

If, however, you know where she is living with the child and you just want to file contempt on her for not properly notifying the Dad about moving, I woud think twice about spending your money. Most judges don't have the time to waste on technical violations. Most judges won't punish the Mom if she eventually notified Dad & he did not miss any visits with his children.

I hope this helps. Good luck finding Mom & the kids -- which is what I assume is what you are trying to do.

3. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . You should contact the attorney who assisted with the prior court proceding