Skip to main content

Do you need a work visa to work remotely from outside the US for a US based company?

Los Angeles, CA |

Are there any restrictions or limitations? Is payroll involved? Do you need to be paid in the currency of the country you live in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


No, you need to comply with that country's laws.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


So you are asking whether you can work for a US company in a non-us location? I assume this means you would need to adhere to the labor and immigration laws of that country. Avvo is for US law.

As to payroll or tax questions - again you should probably consult a tax lawyer in the country that you will be working in.


US laws apply only to people within the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


A U.S. work visa is only required for work physically performed within the U.S.


Generally, if you are the worker working abroad, you'll only need to make sure that you have the proper visa to be working in the country you are located in. If you are a US citizen, you will have tax filing obligations. Our law firm can give you a free consultation about those issues.

If however you are the employer, you'll need to consider the corporate, tax, immigration, and employment law issues:

- Corporate: you may need to establish a local hiring entity
- Tax: you may create a corporate tax liability through a permanent establishment (see my article linked below)
- Immigration: you may need to make sure that your employee has a proper work visa
- Employment: you may be taking on labor law liability in the local country

The specific issues for an employer or employee alike will depend on the employee's location. Happily, our firm focuses solely on these kinds of issues and can offer you a complimentary consultation at 703-879-5632 or (Also check out the link below.)

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer