Do you need a work permit to do an unpaid internship?

Ithaca, NY |

I arrived last month as a Dependant on a J-2 visa and before I want to apply for a work permit.
I want to obtain some experiences, can I do that on my J-2 visa or do I need a working permit?

In general unpaid volunteer work may be performed without a work permit
Pari@parisheth.com
3145672010

Need the work permit to work.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

Need work permit to accept work, whether paid or unpaid.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

It depends upon what type of work it is. Sometimes it is OK and sometimes it is not. You should provide information on what work you have in mind etc. It would be best to seek personal legal advice once you know more about what your intend to do.
Lalita Haran
(317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.