DO YOU NEED A SIGNED RELEASE FORM FROM AN EMPLOYEE IN ORDER TO DO A VERIFICATION OF EMPLOYMENT?

Boynton Beach, FL |

I FAXED OVER A VERIFICATION OF EMPLOYMENT FORM FOR THE OBVIOUS REASON OF VERIFYING EMPLOYMENT AND RECEIVED MY COVER SHEET BACK WITH A HAND WRITTEN NOTE SAYING "PLEASE RESEND WITH SIGNED RELEASE FORM"

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF NEEDING A RELEASE FORM TO VERIFY EMPLOYMENT ARE THERE ANY STATUTES OR REGULATIONS THAT I CAN REFER TO WHEN I FAX THEM BACK THAT BACK ME UP UNLESS I AM WRONG AND YOU DO NEED A RELEASE FORM IN ORDER TO VERIFY EMPLOYMENT.

1. Although no statute exists that requires a signed release form it is good policy. Most companies will not provide information about a previous employees other than date of hire and salary without one for fear of a defamation law suit. Employees have been successful in suing their previous employers for defamation, when employers gave false or inaccurate information about the employee. For this reason most companies will not provide much information without a release.

Small business topics