Do you lose your time served after you bail out of jail?

Bellingham, WA |

My boyfriend has been in jail little over a month now and I was wondering if it would be worth it to bail him out or just let him sit for the remainder (about 1 1/2 months) until his next court. If I get him out will he lose that time served?

No, your boyfriend will be entitled to credit for any time he served on that case before bailing out.

As long as he has had no jail infractions and no misconduct while in jail, he will have a right to receive at least day-for-day credit against time served if he is later convicted or pleads guilty to some crime.

However, if he misses a court date subsequent to bailing out of jail, he could face the charge of bail jumping, which is a separate charge. A conviction for bail jumping here in Whatcom County can sometimes times lead to the invalidation of any time already served. But as long as he does not miss court while out on bail, everything should be fine.