Do you have to take the written and/or driven test to get a unrestricted license back after a 1st time DUI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I am beginning the process of getting my license suspended/revoken for a 1st time DUI. I have talked with a few lawyers and they said, when the time comes, I do not have to take a written or drive test in order to get the unrestricted license back. I was on CO DMV website today and it seems as if you have to do both but then again their website is confusing. I know I will be choosing to have the interlock and triying to apply after the 4 months for the unrestricted licence. Can I expect to take the written and/or driving test to get my regular licence back?

1. Rhidian David Watson Orr

4

Answered . No. In CO, you do not need to retake your exams unless you have been under revocation or without a license for 1 year or more. Based on the information your provided, it sounds like this is a first offense with a BAC under .170 because you mention wanting to get an unrestricted license after 120 days of interlock.

If this is true, you do not need to retake any of your exams. Visit this website and link for your exact reinstatement requirements:

http://www.orrlaw.com/drivers-license/drivers-l...

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . The answer to your question may be dependent upon your age. If under 21 years old, you will indeed ned to re-take the eye, written AND driving tests. If over 21 years of age, you definitely must take the eye exam but the other tests may be waived.

3. Mary E. McCluskey

2

Answered . If you have a first DUI per se t an accident) following reinstatement.

If you choose early reinstatement with interlock, are compliant and have a clean record, you can have it removed after 4 reporting periods. A Word of Caution: Do not remove the interlock device until you have been granted an unrestricted license by the DMV.

Best Regards,
    M.E. McCluskey