Skip to main content

Do you have to serve the oc with a hard copy of written discovery, or can you send an electronic file?

Vacaville, CA |

In a civil law suit, the written discovery answers can be like 60 pages! long Do I have to print them to paper, and send a copy to the other side, or can I sign it and send an electronic copy? I figure I can send documents on a CD, but the actual responses to say interrogs, do you have to print those out on paper?
I think I read you have to send a paper hard copy.
Thank you.

Attorney Answers 1


Responses are in writing and it is not unusual to receive documents in CD or other electronic format. Whether or not you can provide responses electronically really depends on your opposition. You may want to reach out and ask and come to an agreement. Also, service has to be by mail, personal, or overnight, unless you have a written agreement providing otherwise.

The information above is NOT LEGAL ADVICE and you should not rely on it. Providing information on Avvo does NOT create an attorney-client relationship even if there is a back and forth exchange between us. The relationship can be created only if we both sign a written agreement and you have paid fees as required.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



Ok, thank you for responding!

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics